YouthTube - for young people in Hampshire

Your education

Your education is really important to help you in the future. When you go to school you'll be with your friends, you'll meet new people and you'll learn lots of new and interesting things that will help you in your future. Make the most of the opportunity and let your teachers push you to be the best you can be.

Getting a good education will help you secure a good job later in life, and help you to do all the things you want to do.

What is a designated teacher?

As a child or young person in care, you will be given a designated teacher who is responsible for your educational achievement at school. It is their job to make sure that your teachers understand if there have been or are on-going issues that could effect your education.

They will:

  • make sure that you get the support and resources you need to succeed at school

  • talk to your carers to help them to support your learning at home

  • make sure you have a Personal Education Plan (PEP) and that you are involved in creating it by putting forward your views and needs

  • talk to your social worker regularly to make sure that everyone is working together to help you to achieve.

How can I get involved in my PEP?

You will be able to speak to your social worker or designated teacher and they help you to get involved in developing your Personal Education Plan.

Can I go to college/university?

Being a child or young person in care does not make you different in the educational world. You have the right to do whatever you want to do! There are support networks in place for help in funding for university and your social worker, key worker or foster parents will do all they can to support you and guide you in whichever path you would want to take.