YouthTube - for young people in Hampshire

Your Voice

Your social worker should:

  • visit you regularly in your placement
  • listen and understand
  • make sure that you feel safe and that you have everything that you need in place
  • do what they say and follow through with promises
  • make sure you know what you are entitled to and how to go about claiming these entitlements
  • listen to all you would like to do and help you to embrace whatever it may be
  • keep up dated on your school/college reports
  • listen and advise on whatever you may wish to talk about (life, jobs, bad and good memories, sexual health)
  • celebrate your birthday or special occasions with you whatever they may be e.g. religious festivals.

What is a care plan and how do I get involved?

Your care plan will include things like:

  • where you will live
  • where you will go to school
  • what money you will receive
  • contact with your family
  • your legal status
  • your health
  • activities you would like to do
  • your goals for the future

What is a Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO)?

Your Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO) is someone who works for Hampshire County Council, but is separate to your social worker and foster carer. They hold a meeting with you and the people helping to care for you once every six months. It is their job to make sure that you are being looked after properly.

Independent Advocacy Service

Independent Advocacy is provided by two organisations called Speakeasy and Choices who each cover separate parts of Hampshire

They can help to make sure others know what your views and wishes are about your care. They can also help you to make a complaint if you are unhappy about the service you receive. Their Advocates will listen to what you have to say and make sure others do the same, they won’t tell you what to think and will help you understand what others are saying. An Advocate can:

  • Help you decide what you want to say in any meetings you have about your care.
  • Go with you to any meetings you have about your care, or go to them on your behalf (making sure that others know what your views and wishes are, even if you aren’t there).
  • Help you understand decisions that have been made about your care.
  • Help you to make a complaint if you are unhappy.
  • Give you easy to understand information about your rights so you can make better decisions about what you want.

To get in touch with the Speakeasy and Choices please call 01256 332795 or visit their website or ask any adult you trust to get in touch with us.

Download the Speakeasy leaflet. Download Acrobat Reader to view this PDF 713kb

Tell us what you think

Hampshire County Council provides a lot of different services to children, young people and their parents/carers through the Children's Services Department.

As someone who may be receiving these services, you may not always be happy with them. You might have ideas about how we could do things better or differently.

No matter what the size of the problem or idea, we will listen to what you say and let you know what we are doing about it. Tell us your complaints, comments and compliments about Children's Services