Want to get to college, your training, apprenticeship or job? Here's how....
Wheels to Work - loan a moped for three to 12 months. For 16 to 25 year olds who don't have access to public or private transport.
Taxishares and carshares - if a bus no longer operates in your area, a taxi or private hire vehicle can pick you up instead. Under 16s travel for half price.
Greyhound: 0900 096 0000
National Express: 08717 818178
First Bus: 0870 010 6022
Blue Star: 023 8061 8233
Stagecoach: 0845 121 0180
Southern Vectis: 01983 532373
Wilts & Dorset: 01202 673555 or 01722 336855
Southampton Uni-Link: 023 8059 5974
National rail enquiries: 08457 48 49 50
First Great Western: 08457 000 125
Southeastern: 0845 000 2222
South West Trains: 0845 6000 650
Virgin Trains: 0870 789 1234
Wightlink: 0870 582 7744
Red Funnel: 0870 444 8898
Hovertravel: 01983 811000 or 023 9281 1000
Hythe Ferry: 023 8084 0722
Gosport Ferry - 023 9252 4551
A Young Persons Railcard will give you a third off fares.
Useful information when travelling aboard -
- Find out about the country you are visiting. Check out the Foreign & Commonwealth Office's Travel Checklists.
- Do you need a visa? Many countries outside of Europe require one.
- The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to access state-provided healthcare in all European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Switzerland at a reduced cost or sometimes free of charge. Apply for a card.
- You should find out where the British Embassy or Consulate is in the country you are visiting. If you lose your passport, run into problems with the police or have any other trouble, they will be able to help you.
- Let people know your travel schedule and ways to contact you if there is an emergency at home.
- Make copies of your passport, visas, insurance and tickets and leave a copy at home.
- Plan your budget and give yourself a bit extra for emergencies. Useful budgeting sites include: https://www.mint.com, http://www.moneysavingexpert.com,
- While your bank card will work in many countries, it is a good idea to carry some cash, traveller's cheques, travel passports, prepaid travel money card, and a credit card as well.
- Keep your money, traveller’s cheques and passport in a money bag out of view.
- Don’t hitchhike. It isn’t safe anywhere – even if you’re with a friend, you’re still taking a risk.
Travel InsuranceWhen you travel aboard it is important to purchase travel insurance. Useful websites include:
Please remember the comparison sites do not compare all travel insurance companies, so you may want to look at individual sites. Also if you will be engaging in extreme sports please check if the policy will cover you!