You are hereHantsweb HomeYouthTubeHousing

YouthTube - for young people in Hampshire

Housing and Homelessness

For general advice and support, please visit The Shelter.

What you will need to do if you are homeless

If you are homeless, you will need to present yourself at your local district/borough council office and say you are homeless, it is a different situation to saying you need housing and could be a different team you will need to see. You will then meet with a Housing Officer who will assess your situation and may put you forward to a young person’s housing panel for supported accommodation.  

If you are 16 or 17 years of age Hampshire County Council offer a Housing Gateway Service. A personal Advisor from the Youth Support Service will be able to help you by talking through the options available to you.  Please note they will need to speak to your parents/carers and any other professions working with you. The Gateway housing will try and place you back at home before looking at other housing options. If it is not possible for you to return home The Gateway Service will make a referral to Children’s services or your local Borough Council to find you emergency accommodation.

Local housing information and contact details in your area.

Post 18, you will need to put yourself on the local Housing Register, present yourself as homeless and the Authority should assist you in finding accommodation or you can find your own private rented accommodation. You can fund a tenancy by applying for Housing Benefit and JSA, or income support if you are studying.

  • Please note you will not be given your own place straight away.
  • If you are a care leaver 18+ it is not Children’s Services responsibility to house you. However you will be supported though this process.
  • You can not legally hold a tenancy until your 18+


Supported Lodgings: A living environment where you will have support from key workers or a host family.

Hostel: Accommodation where you can live for up to two years. If you are placed here you will be expected to be able to support yourself, however workers will be on site if needed.

Night Shelter: Temporary accommodation until a more permanent placement is available.


Search YouthTube