Children's Services

Access to your records under the Data Protection Act

The Data Protection Act 1998 entitles you to have access to the records held about you or your child.  Under the Act, you have to make a Subject Access Request in writing.  

You need to make a separate Subject Access Request to your child's school in respect of the information they hold about you or your child. Hampshire County Council cannot provide this information.

Please note that, if you access records under the Data Protection Act, you cannot use them as evidence in court proceedings. If you want our records to be used in evidence, you will need to ask the court to order us to release them for this purpose. In these circumstances, records are released to the court, not to an individual, and are available to both parties.


Your Records

Information about what records we keep about clients, why and how we keep what we do and how records can be accessed.

  • View the Your Records web page

  • Download a copy of Your Records

Subject Access Request Form

The form that current or past service user should use to apply to see their ‘Children's Services’ file.