Why Adopt with Hampshire?
As one of the largest counties in England, Hampshire boasts an impressive track record in placing children for adoption and supporting adoptive families. As a local authority adoption agency, we do not discriminate on any grounds and welcome applicants from all ages (over 21), backgrounds, ethnic groups and faiths. We place children from birth upwards.
Staff in the service have extensive experience of social work and adoption in particular and are well placed to advise families and share their expertise with colleagues across the service, to the benefit of all applicants and clients who require support.
The biggest benefit to adopting with Hampshire is the difference that adopters can make to the life of a child. That can only happen when adoptive families are effectively prepared and supported. Hampshire Adoption Service supports adopters through:
- Comprehensive preparation training and workshops
- A thorough home study assessment and time for self-reflection
- Support from a case social worker throughout the process
- Advice and guidance with matching a child
- Support with linking and introductions to children
- Ongoing training and workshops post placement
- Access to a comprehensive adoption support service - for anything from telephone advice through to more specific support if required
- Referrals to specialist services for the children you adopt if it is needed, including specialist support with health and education
Hampshire County Council is a local authority Adoption agency which provides a range of services and fulfils a range of requirements which are set out in legislation. The service operates to a set of Guidelines and Minimum Standards which are also issued by the Department for Education. The service is inspected by Ofsted.
In addition to recruiting and assessing adopters, managing the approval process and providing training for prospective and approved adopters, the service provides a range of support services to those who have been adopted or those who are birth parents or relatives of children who have been adopted. More about the work of the Service can be found in the Statement of Purpose 215kb , which is reviewed annually.
Hampshire County Council’s Adoption Service is part of the wider Children’s Services team. The Directorate oversees welfare, wellbeing and education of children and works closely with a range of partners to offer Hampshire’s children a positive start in life.
Find out more about Adoption
Tel: 0845 6035620