Adoption Process and Timescales
The government has introduced national timescales for assessing and approving prospective adopters and all adoption agencies have to adhere to these timescales unless there are exceptional reasons not to do so. The timescale from accepting your application as prospective adopters to approval at Adoption Panel should take no longer than 8 months.
The time it will take to be matched with a child once you are approved as an adopter can vary.
The following are the main steps in the process:
- Ask for Information Pack (sent within 5 days)
- Completion of Enquiry Form and Duty Call
- Invitation to attend Public Information Session
- Initial Home Visit by Adoption Social Worker
- (If all parties agree) , invited to complete a formal application
- Attend Preparation Training Course | Statutory Checks, References, Medicals
- Assessment/home study report commences (with social worker)
- Adoption Panel - considers report (applicants invited to attend)
- Agency Decision (within 7 working days of Panel)
- Approved as “Suitable to Adopt” and available to be matched with a child
NB - These are national timescales.
- Steps 1- 3 may take up to two months.
- Steps 5 -8 may take up to eight months.
Find out more about Adoption
Tel: 0845 6035620