Support for Adopters
We recognise that the needs of adoptive children and their families will change and evolve throughout the life of the adoption.
For this reason, we have a range of services that are available to adoptive families without the family being open to a social worker from the team.
These services are outlined in our quarterly newsletter, or can be accessed by contacting the Adoption Support Team:
- Information on developments within the adoption field
- Access to training , workshops and support groups
- Information on events for adopted children facilitated by GroundWorks Fusion project
- Access to one-off consultations with an Educational Psychologist
- Video Interactive Guidance with an Educational Psychologist
- Information and advice about a range of other services that can support adoptive families such as the Support4SEND which offers information, advice and support on speical educational needs and disability issues.
Support for families with more complex needs
For some families more individual support will be needed. In these circumstances, please contact the Adoption Support Service, and request an Adoption Support Needs Assessment, which will be completed by a social worker in the team. This is not a crisis service, so it may be that we need to sign post you to another area of Children’s Services alongside the referral to our team.
- Adoption support plans can cover areas such as:
- Therapeutic re-parenting
- Life story work and identity work
- Understanding developmental trauma
- Theraplay influenced activities to help build positive attachments.
- Setting up Inclusion Partnership Agreements with schools where appropriate, and providing advice on Pupil Premium Plus.
The Adoption Support Fund
Local Authorities have access to funding for therapeutic services for adoptive families, that are outside of those that should be provided by the local authority. This can only be accessed if a need has been identified within the Adoption Support Needs Assessment, and there is no guarantee that an application will be approved.
Adoption support services are open to adoptive parents who have adopted children from Hampshire. (excluding Portsmouth, Southampton and the Isle of Wight) Adoptive parents resident in Hampshire who did not adopt through the county, but whose child’s Adoption Order is more than three years old are entitled to use these services.
If you adopted your child from another local authority, and are within the first three years after the Adoption Order, please contact the placing local authority, who can contact us if they wish to commission local services.
If you adopted your child from overseas, please be aware that not all services will be available, however, we can provide information and advice.