Groups and Workshops
As well as offering one-to-one help and advice when you need it, Hampshire’s Adoption Support team hold groups and workshops for adopters. These cover a wide range of hot topics and common issues that adopters need to consider, as well as giving you a chance to share your experiences with professional advisers and other adoptive families.
- Explaining Adoption, Complicated Issues and Life Story - these workshops are held regularly and provide assistance with common areas of concern for adoptive parents, including talking about how to tell your child about their birth history and understand what it means to be adopted, discussing aspects of their early years experience and origins of their birth.
- Attachment Workshop - this annual workshop is always popular. A trained therapist discusses attachments and difficulties that can arise from early trauma in childhood, supporting parents to promote good attachments with their children.
- Internet Safety Workshop - love it or hate it, Facebook is here to stay! This workshop discusses issues around social networking and looks at internet safety for children as well as particular issues around internet safety where adoption is part of the family.
- Education and Educational Transitions - these workshops offer adoptive parents the chance to talk to an educational psychologist and other educational support workers about the issues for adopted children in schools. Also looking at particular areas such as educational special needs, inclusion partnership agreements, statements, exclusions and where to get other support. Educational transitions looks at moving children between schools and the issues involved which can be more complex with children who have been adopted - such as getting used to a new teacher, changes in timetables etc.
- Children’s Groups and Workshops - workshops are held for 6-11 and 11-16 year olds alongside theatre workshops, arts activity days and outdoor adventure days. There are also workshops for adoptive parents and their children to help them manage difficult relationships.
- Men’s Groups - around four times a year, a men’s group meet, giving male adopters the opportunity to meet in a relaxed environment and discuss issues in confidence with other adopters and adoption professionals.
- PAC Support Groups - partner charity PAC facilitates two support groups for adopters in Hampshire (in Winchester & Basingstoke)
Sign up to receive the Adoption Support newsletter to keep in touch with topics, dates and times for workshops and support groups for Hampshire adopters.
Find out more about Adoption Support
Tel 01489 587543