Special Educational Needs

What if i still have concerns

If you are not happy with anything the early years setting, school or college does for your child, you should first talk to the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) or your child’s teacher/tutor. You could also talk to the headteacher/principal. It is important that you co-operate as much as you can with your child’s teachers in any discussion about your child’s SEN. You may find it helpful to write down your worries before a meeting and, if you want to you can take a friend or relative with you. You may also find it helpful to talk to other parents. You can also contact Support4SEND (formerly Parent Partnership Service) who can also give you the names of local voluntary organisations and parents’ groups that might be able to help you.

If your child still does not seem to be making enough progress or needs a lot more extra help, the local authority may decide to carry out an Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment for your child. This is only required for a very small number of children and young people and is only necessary if the early years setting, school or college cannot provide all the help that your child needs. It is usually only required for children and young people who have the most significant and long-term special educational needs which need a very detailed assessment.

Find out more…

  • What does a SEN Co-ordinator (SENCo) do?
  • The Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment process