You are hereHantsweb HomeSpecial Educational NeedsHow will my child's needs be assessed?What about Post 16 education for children with SEN?

Special Educational Needs

What about Post 16 education for young people with SEN?

For most young people with a learning difficulty and/or disability it is likely that a post 16 course of continued education will be available in the local community at a Further Education College, maintained school with a sixth form or a special school with post 16 provision. The local authority and the Education Funding Agency (EFA) works with local education providers to ensure that wherever possible upon leaving school, young people have the opportunity to continue their education locally.

If your child/young person has a statement of special educational needs, further education will be considered at the annual review meeting in Year 9 when a transition plan [This link has been removed] will be drawn up.

For further details please contact a Post 16 SEN Personal Adviser at your local area office, telephone 0845 603 5620 or email

Find out more

  • Transition to adult life and services for young people with SEN