You are hereHantsweb HomeSpecial Educational NeedsSupport for children with SEN

Special Educational Needs

What educational support is available?

Before your child starts school or early education

Your child’s early years are a very important time for their physical, emotional, intellectual and social development. When your health visitor or doctor makes a routine check, they may suggest there could be a problem or you may have worries of your own. You can talk to your doctor or health visitor who will be able to give you advice about the next steps to take and who can help.

If your child’s needs are severe or complex, your health visitor or doctor may approach the Children's Services Department on your behalf. You can also contact them directly.

If your child is at an early years setting or school

If you have any concerns about your child’s progress you should first talk to your child’s class teacher/tutor. In schools (or early years settings) there is a SEN Co-ordinator (SENCo), who is responsible for co-ordinating help for children with special educational needs. You will be able to talk over your concerns with the teacher/tutor and/or SENCo and find out what the school thinks. The SENCo will be able to explain what happens next.

Working together with your child’s teachers will often help to sort out worries and problems. The closer you work with your child’s teachers, the more successful any help can be.

Find out more…