You are hereHantsweb HomeSpecial Educational NeedsSupport for parents/carers

Special Educational Needs

What support is available for parents and carers of children and young people with SEN?

As a parent and carer of a child with special educational needs you may find it useful to contact the following services:

Hampshire Parent Partnership Service

The Parent Partnership Service provides confidential and impartial advice, information and support to parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities throughout Hampshire. Their service is available to all families for whom special educational needs play a part. Please visit the Parent Partnership Service website for further information.

Independent Parental Support

If your child has been identified as having a special educational need you may find it helpful to contact an independent parental supporter. They are independent from schools and the local authority.

They can:

  • provide moral support
  • obtain information
  • assist with writing letters and making contributions to assessments
  • be present at meetings or during visits
  • discuss letters or documents and reports from schools and the local authority.

The leaflet Independent Parental Support - a guide for parents/carers  Download Adobe Reader to view this PDF 100kB provides further information.

Independent Support

Independent support is an additional targeted service available to parents/carers and young people during the Education, Health and Care (EHC) needs assessment process. Once the local authority decides an EHC needs assessment should go ahead or when you receive a letter about transferring from a statement of SEN to an EHC plan you can request support from an Independent Supporter. They will offer impartial advice and guidance during the assessment process.

In Hampshire Independent Support is available from Parent Voice and the Parent Partnership Service. All Independent Supporters will receive national independent training commissioned by the Independent Support Programme.

If you are going through the assessment process to transfer your child’s statement of SEN to an EHC plan or applying for an EHC plan for the first time and you need additional support please call 0300 303 8604 or email to discuss this.