What is an independent parental supporter
If your child has been identified as having a special educational need you may find it helpful to contact an independent parental supporter. They are independent from schools and the local authority.
- provide moral support
- provide Information
- assist with writing letters and making your contribution to the assessment process
- be present at meetings or during visits
- discuss letters or documents and reports from schools and the local authority.
You can contact independent parental support through:
- The Parent Partnership Service
- Parents’ groups, voluntary organisations
- individuals, eg trained volunteers, people nominated by parents/carers – friends, relatives, work colleagues, etc.