Special Educational Needs

Voluntary organisations for children with special educational needs

ACE Education Advice and Training

Supports parents by providing online advice and information on all aspects of education and delivers quality training for professionals.

Contact ACE Education Advice and Training

Action on hearing loss

Offers a range of services including communication support, training, information, specialist phone services.

Contact Action on hearing loss

Afasic (Association of all speech impaired children)

A parent-led organisation that helps children and young people who have a speech and language impairment, and their families. They provide information and training for parents and professionals and provide a range of publications.

Contact Afasic

Asthma UK

Support and information for people with asthma and their families through Asthma Adviceline. Provides a wide range of publications.

Contact Asthma UK

BDA (British Deaf Association)

The BDA represent the British Sign Language community and are focused on achieving equality for Deaf people through campaigning and community engagement, creating opportunities for Deaf people to develop and engage with each other and the wider community.

Contact British Deaf Association

British Dyslexia Association

Offers information about all aspects of dyslexia for families and professionals.

Contact British Dyslexia Association

CASE (Campaign for State Education)

Campaigns for the rights of all children to the best in state education regardless of their race, gender, home circumstances, ability or disability.

Contact Campaign for State Education


A national helpline for parents to access details of local support groups for specific conditions/needs, including rare syndromes.

Contact Contact-a-Family

Coram Children’s Legal Centre

A free and confidential legal advice and information service, covering all aspects of the law affecting children and young people.

Contact Coram Children's Legal Centre

Council for disabled children

CDC promotes the voices, interests and well-being of all children and young people across every aspect of their lives. As an umbrella body for the children’s sector in England, they provide information on policy, research and best practice.

Contact Council for disabled children

CSIE (Centre for Studies on Inclusive Education)

Information on inclusive education for children with learning disabilities.

Contact CSIE

Disability Rights UK

Co-ordinating body for member associations involved with disability issues, concerned with access, education, employment, holidays, housing, mobility.

Contact Disability Rights UK

Down’s Syndrome Association

Provides information, advice, counselling and support to parents/carers and works closely with local support groups.

Contact Down's Syndrome Association

Dyslexia Action

Provides advice, assessment and support for dyslexia and other specific difficulties.

Contact Dyslexia Action
Contact Dyslexia Action (Winchester Centre)

Dyspraxia Foundation

Provides information and support for families. Supports a network of local groups. Publishes a range of leaflets and booklets for parents.

Contact Dyspraxia Foundation

Epilepsy Action (British Epilepsy Association)

Provides information and advice for families. Network of local support groups.

Contact Epilepsy Action

Epilepsy Society (National Society for Epilepsy)

Information and advice service, provides facilities for assessment and treatment, publications.

Contact Epilepsy Society

HACSG (The Hyperactive Children’s Support Group)

This group focuses on raising awareness of the role of diet, nutrition and environment on behaviour. Provides telephone support and information.

Contact HACSG

HPCN (Hampshire Parent/Carer Network)

HPCN is an independent, parent led group which aims to ensure that the families and carers of disabled children and young people can participate fully in the development of services within Hampshire.

Contact HPCN


Offers emotional and practical help through a network of volunteers who visit the home of families who have at least one child under the age of five.

Contact Home-Start

IPSEA (Independent Parental Special Education Advice)

Provides second professional opinions for parents. Advocacy service for tribunals.

Contact IPSEA


Range of services for children with learning disabilities. Advice, information, leisure activities, housing/independent living, publications. Network of local support groups.

Contact Mencap

NASEN (National Association for Special Educational Needs)

Promotes the development of children with SEN. Support and advice for parents. Network of national branches.

Contact NASEN

National Autistic Society

Information, advice and support to parents. Publications on research. Network with local support groups.

Contact National Autistic Society

National Portage Association

Support and advice for families and their young children. Information on portage services within the UK. Publications, research material, conferences.

Contact National Portage Association

NDCS (National Deaf Children’s Society)

Advice and information on any aspect of childhood deafness. Family support service through UK-wide network of local groups.

Contact NDCS

Network ’81

A national advice and helpline facility for parents of children with special needs. Provides literature and publications.

Contact Network '81

Parentline (Family Lives)

A confidential service for parents offering information, advice, guidance and support on any aspect of parenting and family life.

Contact Family Lives

Parent Voice

Parent Voice is an information and participation service for parents and carers of disabled children aged 0-19 in Hampshire. They use the word “disabled” to encompass all children and young people with a condition or impairment, whether mild, moderate or severe, diagnosed or undiagnosed.

Contact Parent Voice

Phab (Physically handicapped and able bodied)

Network of clubs offering activities for people of differing abilities. Organises holidays during summer break.

Contact Phab

Pre-School Learning Alliance

Supports the work of community pre-schools, through training, local branch network, advice and helplines, publications.

Contact Pre-school Learning Alliance

RNIB (Royal National Institute for the Blind)

Offers advice, support and information service for parents and carers of children with visual impairment. Publications, assessment services, equipment.

Contact RNIB


Information and support for parents of children with cerebral palsy, local support services, advice on early years, education, independent living and employment.

Contact SCOPE

SENSE (National Deaf-Blind and Rubella Association)

Information, advice and support through a network of regional advisers.

Contact SENSE

Shine (Spina bifida, Hydrocephalus, Information, Networking, Equality)

Offers practical help and information. Trained advisers who can visit families and give specialist advice on mobility, continence, hydrocephalus education.

Contact Shine

Young Minds

Provides a telephone information service for adults concerned about a child or young person in their care. Quarterly magazine, leaflets and booklets.

Contact Young Minds