Eligibility criteria for specialist services
In consultation with parents and professionals, a set of eligibility criteria has been produced to assess disabled children most in need of specialist services. Specialist services may include social work support, overnight short breaks, the family link scheme, and support within and outside the home.
Please note, most short breaks activities such as playschemes, Buddies and other activities can be accessed by registering for your Gateway Card without the need for an assessment.
You can read more about eligibility and how to access the range of different services in the short breaks statement 2 MB. More information about the eligibility criteria for specialist services is below:
You can find information about the eligibility criteria below:
- Who can access specialist services for disabled children?
- Why your child may not be eligible for specialist services
- Factors taken into consideration when assessing your eligibility 21kb
- Frequently used words and abbreviations 10kb
- The mediation process 10kb
- Access to Specialist Services for Disabled Children (Children’s Departmental procedure 26/10) 175 kB Please note some of the specific information about services in this document has now changed, please look at the short breaks service statement 2 MB for more detail.
Register for a Gateway Card for access to activities, play schemes and buddy schemes available through our short breaks programme.
Parent Voice - a network of parents and carers of children and young people with disabilities and/or additional needs to provide you with information and advice.