Hampshire Virtual School offers extensive support to schools and other education providers. Some examples are set out below.
Annual Corporate Visits
When a child becomes looked after (either on a short or long-term basis) it is the duty of the Local Authority as a corporate parent, to safeguard and promote his or her welfare and educational achievement. To secure these outcomes Hampshire Virtual School deploys its staff to routinely visit schools, academies and other education providers to ensure every child they look after, wherever the child is placed, to achieve the highest educational standards he or she possibly can. These visits are not an inspection of the provision for a looked after children but are focussed on challenge and support to schools on the educational outcomes for its children in care.
Activities undertaken during Hampshire Virtual School’s corporate visit
Further activities agreed with school as required
- Validation of school’s self evaluation and action plan in relation to LAC
- Data scrutiny and discussion with DT & HT around progress, attainment, attendance and engagement of each child
- Lesson observation and shadowing of looked after children
- Book sampling
- Discussion with teachers and support assistants
- Discussion with children/ young people,
- Discussion with carers