Crossing the harbour from Langstone to Hayling Island was for centuries at the mercy of the tides. In 1824, the Langstone Road Bridge was built but it was not until 17 July, 1867 that there was a railway link to Hayling Island. The line was constructed by the Hayling Railway Company formed by local businessmen in 1860 and included a timber trestle bridge to cross the harbour.
In the 1930s Hayling Island became a popular holiday and tourist destination and the Hayling Billy line was very busy in the summer. However, there was increasing competition from cars, particularly with the opening of the new Langstone Road Bridge in 1956. The railway bridge needed £200,000 spent on it to make it safe so it was decided to close the railway line. On Sunday 3 November, 1963, the last passengers took the train on the Hayling Billy Line.