Use the Internet to connect with people in new ways, whether it is people you know or new groups of people you share interests with.
Social networking is the term used to describe the way people form online communities.
this has created new ways to communicate and share information by groups of people all around the World.
Social networking in actionUsed by millions of people, social networks are used in many ways, for example to:
- keep in contact with friends
- contact former school, university, work colleagues
- share photos and web links
- exchange ideas
- develop hobby and interest groups
- influence opinions and events
- meet new people and much more.
Find out more about Social networking sites.
The web helps people to connect in new ways.
This is very valuable for individuals and groups who are trying to join in conversations with those they know and with new people across the World.
Ways of meeting new peopleIn addition to social networking sites, there are other new ways of 'meeting people' online, such as:
- forums - sites for specialist topics (eg sport or technology)
- chat rooms - message sites where you exchange messages
- dating sites - where you can share information and meet people online
Find out more about Meeting new people.
A blog (short for web log) is a form of online diary.
Written by an individual, blogs are used for a number of reasons, for example to publish:
personal thoughts about life in general
comments about a hobby or interest
professional comments, by a journalist or specialist.
The entries, known as 'posts' take the form of a diary extract commonly with photographs and links to related websites.
Find out more about a Blog.
PRINT friendly . . . when you print this page all of the tabs will print.