Public, Community & School Transport

Travel vouchers

Travel vouchers (formerly known as tokens) are an alternative to the bus pass in Hampshire only. Vouchers are available to anyone who has a disability - see details below.

How to apply

(These passes are not covered by the online application process).

Application forms are available in Hampshire from:


Fill your application form in and send it to us at:

Bus Pass Team
PO Box 696
PO14 9PD

Remember to enclose:

  • a passport sized colour photograph with your name and date of birth printed on the back - photograph guidance
  • proof of disability and address for the disabled person's bus pass, companion pass or vouchers

Only copies of documents are required. They will not be returned to you. Do not send originals.

We will process your completed application and you will be sent your new pass or vouchers in the post, or you will be contacted for further information.

How much are vouchers worth?

You can have £32 of vouchers per year to use in part or full payment of your fares on:

  • Dial a Ride
  • Call & Go
  • taxis (Hackney carriage and private hire)
  • voluntary car schemes.

If applied for part way through a year, you will receive a prorated allocation of vouchers.

Not all taxis and voluntary car schemes will accept vouchers. Please check with your operator before travelling. There is a list of operators/organisations, that we know are willing to accept travel vouchers.

Journeys must start or finish in Hampshire.

You cannot use vouchers on:

  • Local bus services
  • rail services or for buying railcards
  • ferries
  • Shopmobility.

Am I eligible?

Do I qualify as disabled?

You must be aged five or older, and be:

  • blind or partially sighted, or

  • profoundly or severely deaf, or

  • without speech, or

  • have a disability, or injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk, or

  • have no arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms, or

  • have a severe learning disability, including an arrested state of development from birth, or

  • have been prevented from holding or would have been refused a driving licence under Part III of the Road Transport Act 1988, under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) on grounds other than persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol, or confirmation from a healthcare professional advising unable to drive because of prescribed medication and its effects or

  • a member or veteran of the Armed Services who has been seriously injured in service.

The types of disability which should enable you to claim the statutory minimum bus travel concession are those which are permanent, or which have lasted at least 12 months.

What proof of disability do I need to provide?

When you apply for a bus pass, disabled person plus companion pass or vouchers on the grounds of disability, we will need a completed application form plus a current passport sized colour photograph with your name and date of birth printed on the back and a copy of one of the following and proof of your address - e.g. a recent utility bill.

  • Hampshire County Council Blue Badge or number

  • award letter for any Attendance Allowance

  • award letter for the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance

  • award letter for a War Pensioners Mobility Allowance

  • award letter for guaranteed income payment for tariff levels 1-8 under the 2005 Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

  • letter from the DVLA giving notice of long term refusal or withdrawal of driving licence on medical grounds (misuse of alcohol or drugs are not included under this scheme) OR confirmation from a healthcare professional advising unable to drive because of prescribed medication and its effects.

  • award letter for personal independence payment (PIP) where the applicant has been awarded at least 8 points or more for the PIP "Moving Around" and "Communicating Verbally" activities OR audiology evidence demonstrating severe hearing loss – 70-95 dB OR registered with HCC Deaf Services as Deaf (BSL British Sign Language)

  • a healthcare professional's letter e.g. physiotherapist, podiatrist, nurse etc. containing their contact details.


Example of a travel voucher

Travel Vouchers

Operators/organisations who accept travel vouchers

Information for Hackney Carriage, Private Hire and Voluntary Car Schemes

If you are a new supplier to Hampshire County Council and have not been paid before, please also complete a banking details form and return it to us with your first claim.