Trailblazer is Hampshire’s training and support for Learning Outside the Classroom. A partnership between Children’s Services and the Recreation and Heritage Department, it supports teachers and schools and advises on how to make the most of the environment both on your doorstep and across Hampshire.
Whether you want to develop your curriculum through outdoor learning, inspire your pupils by putting them in touch with their environment, improve problem solving and teamwork in your school, tackle sustainability or raise the profile of the value of outdoor learning through our award system, Trailblazer can help.
Duke of Edinburgh
The Countryside Service has a range of exciting and challenging opportunities for participants completing the skills and service sections of their award. From conservation volunteering to a skill in birdwatching, conservation or the natural world. Due to the varied nature of the sites, opportunities also vary. No site can guarantee to accommodate an award participant or group.
Rights of Way are used by participants for the expedition part of their award, but how many understand or know about the law, history and management of this important resource?
Guide to Understanding Countryside Access 259kb pdf
Trefoil Badge Groups
The countryside offers a range of exciting and challenging opportunities for scouts, guides and other trefoil groups. From completing the naturalist badge, to night orienteering and pond dipping. Many sites have conservation tasks which groups could help out with. Contact your local site for information on what they can provide for your group.
Please contact us if you are interested in arranging a visit to one of our sites or if you are interested in one of our rangers talking at your venue. Opportunities are many and varied and may include
- Guided walks as an introduction to a site, or to explore a particular topic.
- Ranger talks on site or at your venue, these can include slide shows. Frequent topics include plant and animal life found in Hampshire.
- Visiting an event.
- Joining a volunteer ranger group.
Countryside Learning links
- Hampshire Outdoor Education Service
- Hampshire Environmental Education Group - HEEG
- Healthy Schools
- Duke of Edinburgh
- Hampshire School Grounds Advisers
- Learning Through Landscapes
- Forestry Commission
- Hampshire Wildlife Trust
- Sparsholt Schools Centre for Environmental Education
- Chichester Harbour Conservancy
- The Sustainability Centre
- Countryside Education Trust
- Ordnance Survey