Site and landscape
The fort was occupied for around 500 years, from 550BC to 100BC, and it is estimated that 300 to 500 people lived in the fort at any one time. The landscape around Danebury also shows evidence of other hill forts and field systems used in farming.
Hampshire County Council bought the site in 1958. It had become overgrown with trees and was inaccessible to the public. Many of the trees were removed to reveal the remains of the hillfort and parcels of land were purchased to ensure public access.
The East Gate of the hillfort in the 1980s.
Iron Age invaders would have to try and pass through two fortified gateways to breach the fort. Around 100BC, the outer gate was probably burnt to the ground in an attack.
Over centuries the landscape around Danebury has been shaped by farming and grazing animals. The Countryside Service maintains the site with the help of a traditional breed of sheep. They help to ensure that the site does not become overgrown and revert to woodland.
A dig taking place in fields around the fort.