Projects and Advice
A selection of the Forum’s advice and recent projects.
The Forum has provided advice towards the following policies, guidance and plans:
- Resolving & monitoring problem reports
- Motor vehicles in the countryside
- TROs Traffic Regulation Orders
- Guidance for diversion of a right of way
- Order of investigation of claims
- Priority of problem reports
- Approach to access land
- Local Transport Plan 3
Projects and sub-groups
- Signage for Byways - Harroway Improvements' - press release, 2011 224kb pdf
- Providing Access To Hampshire’s Heritage
- Forestry Commission Equestrian Permits
- Winchester Dogs research
Work with Parish Councils
The Small Grants Scheme provides funding and advice to Parish Councils and landowners wishing to make improvements to countryside paths. This Forum and New Forest Access Forum provide the panel which considers applications and advises the County Council on the scheme's development.
The Forum ensures Parishes are aware of its work through distributing its annual report and newsletter.
Countryside Access Plans (ROWIPs)
The Forum has guided all three authorities on the approach to preparing their Rights of Way Improvement Plans (locally termed Countryside Access Plans) and continue to be involved in their delivery through membership of the CAP working groups and regular progress reports. In addition, items on the Forum’s agenda frequently relate to widespread/strategic issues identified through these plans.
National consultation responses and national issues
The Forum has submitted responses to a number of national consultations. In 2010 -11 this has included
- Review of England Access Forum (2010)
- Improving Communication between LAFs and Government (2011)
- Review of the Countryside Code (2011)
- An Invitation to Shape the Nature of England (2010)
- Review of Level Crossing Legislation (2010)
- Review of Statutory Duties Placed on Local Government (2011)
- Independent Panel on Forestry ‘Call for Views’ (2011)
CROW access land restriction consultations
The Forum has been consulted on the following long-term restrictions in 2010 and 2011 and has responded as indicated:
- Cheriton Wood (2011) – supported restriction continuing to February 2017 on the condition that improved signage is erected. The Forum has since advised the landowner on the wording and positioning of the signage at the site.
- East Dean Marshalling Yard (2011) - restriction not supported; further information requested.
- East Aston Common (2010) – objected to the proposed restriction due to a lack of supporting evidence.