Curtis Museum, Alton

Alton Police Station

The Hampshire Constabulary was formed at the beginning of 1840. The 1841 census for Alton shows that Francis Bryant, a Superintendent of Police, was the occupant of the area that became 13a, High Street and this was the site of the first police station in Alton. There were said to have been two cells at the back.

Police Station, the Butts c1900

In his History and Description of the Town of Alton of 1896, William Curtis wrote that the police station ‘was afterwards removed to the house next the Red Lion (in Normandy Street). The present Station was built in 1845 at a cost of £1400, at the south-western extremity of the Town (in Butts Road). It has been enlarged and improved since then. It is the Headquarters for the Alton Division of Police, which consists of an Inspector, two sergeants and twelve constables. It is occupied by the Inspector, one sergeant and a constable. There are three cells for the accommodation of prisoners.’

A new police court was built next to the police station in 1907 and these buildings were used until the present magistrates’ court and police station (in Normandy Street/Orchard Lane) were opened in 1978. The Butts Road site was then cleared to make way for a new fire station.

 

Alton’s Police Superintendents

  • 1847 Samuel Robert Everitt
  • 1861 Henry Rossiter
  • 1875 William Cheyney
  • 1880 Joseph Waters
  • 1895 Ernest George Hawkins
  • 1899 George James
  • 1907 James Reuban
  • 1911 Frederick Reuban
  • 1925 W T Jones