You are hereHantsweb HomeEducation and LearningAdmissions home pageInformation & GuidanceGuidance on applying for a school place in-year

Admission to school

provided by the Children's Services Department

Applying for a school place in-year

There are two main reasons why you might be applying for a school place outside of the usual transfer times. You might be moving house or unhappy with your child’s current school. Such requests to change schools usually occur during the school year, which is why they are referred to as 'in-year' admissions.

How to apply

If you wish to make an in-year application to a publicly funded school in Hampshire, you can apply online or request an application form directly from the school. Paper applications should be submitted to your preferred school. The school will normally write to you with the decision within 10 school days.

Please note that in-year applications specifying a September 2016 start date will not receive a response until after 6 June 2016.

Parents wishing to apply for a place at a publicly funded school in another local authority should contact that local authority for an application and advice about their in-year admission procedures.

If you are moving house

Evidence of your new address must be sent to the school. Proof of exchange of contracts or a signed tenancy agreement will normally be accepted.

If you are applying from overseas, you may use a UK address if you have one, subject to the same evidence requirements as above, i.e. exchange of contracts or signed tenancy agreement. Other evidence to substantiate ownership of a property may be required. You must also provide a copy of the parent and child's passports and visas before we can offer a school place.  [The Border agency website provides useful advice about children studying abroad. A link is provided on the Department for Education website]

For service families, with official proof of posting to Hampshire and a relocation date, a Unit postal address, quartering area address or future home address will be accepted as the address for the application. Further information about admissions for UK service personnel is available in the advice for service families. section of this website.

Receiving the decision

If you are offered a place, the school will require your child to start at the school within four school weeks. (if your child is starting Year R for the first time, please discuss admission arrangements with the school').

If the school cannot offer your child a place, you will receive a letter of refusal including information about the waiting list and your right of appeal to an independent appeal panel against the decision not to admit your child.

Need assistance finding a school place?

If you need help finding a school place for your child, please contact the County Admissions Team.  The County Admissions Team can advise parents of the nearest school with a place available.