Admission to school

provided by the Children's Services Department

Address Information

In your application you must provide your child’s permanent address on the application deadline (even if you are planning to move after the deadline). Either during the application process or when you are offered a school place, you may be asked for proof of address, usually recent household bills. When you accept a place for your child to start school for the first time you will also be asked for evidence of the child’s address, e.g. health records.  

If your child lives at different addresses during the week, you may put only one address on the application as your child's permanent residence. Children who spend part of their week with one parent and part with the other, at different addresses, must use the address at which they spend most of their time. This address will be used for the purpose of determining your school catchment area and distance from school. Your child is expected to live at this home address at weekends and during school holidays as well as during the week.

If the address on your application is not your child’s normal address, then you must provide a Residence Order, issued by a court, if you wish us to consider that address.

If you move house before the application deadline you must amend your online application or submit a new paper application form.

If you move house after the application deadline you must contact the County Admissions Team in writing with evidence of your new address: exchange of contracts or a signed tenancy agreement (usually for 12 months duration) will be accepted as proof of address. You may subsequently be asked to demonstrate that the child is resident at the new address and any place offered may be withdrawn if this evidence cannot be provided.

  • Where evidence of a new address is received by the County Admissions Team by 09 January 2015 (for Year 7 applicants) or 13 February 2015 (for Year R and Year 3 applicants), parents may, at the same time, change the schools named in their original on-time application.  Additionally, the application will then be considered in relation to the new address unless the applicant specifically requests that the child’s address on 31 October 2014 (Year 7 applicants) or 15 January 2015 (Year R and Year 3 applicants) is used instead.  

  • A new address resulting from a house move notified after 09 January 2015 (Year 7) or 13 February 2015 (Year R and Year 3) can be used to communicate the outcome of the application but it cannot be used to determine the outcome of an on-time application made from the previous address.

If you are applying from outside England, you may use a Hampshire address if you have one, subject to the same evidence requirements as above, i.e. exchange of contracts or signed tenancy agreement (usually for 12 month duration). Other evidence to substantiate ownership of a property may be required. If you cannot provide any of this, you must use your current address in your application. You must also provide a copy of the parent’s and child's passports and visas before we can offer a school place.

For service families with official proof of posting to Hampshire and of a relocation date, a Unit postal address, quartering area address or future home address will be accepted as the address for the application. You must send your evidence to the County Admissions Team.

Address warning

Places are withdrawn every year because parents give false addresses in applications. This includes cases where parents buy a property solely to use its address in the application without any intention of taking up permanent residence there. The County Council will investigate allegations of false addresses and may monitor residency details particularly if use of a temporary address causes concern.