You are hereHantsweb HomeEducation Jobs homeSafeguarding

education Hampshire

Child Protection & Safeguarding

Safeguarding in Hampshire

Hampshire County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.

All successful candidates for posts working with children and vulnerable adults will be subject to relevant pre-employment checks, including an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and employment references.

What is a DBS check?

An Enhanced DBS check shows details of spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings held on the Police National Computer (PNC) (subject to statutory filtering rules which identify and remove protected convictions and cautions so that they are not disclosed on a DBS certificate) plus any additional information held by local police that is reasonably considered relevant. You will also be checked against the Children's Barred List which lists individuals who are unsuitable for working with children.

How do I obtain a DBS check?

If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed. You will be asked to complete an application form or an e-form.

Please note that in some cases, previously issued DBS checks are ‘portable’ within the County Council and we will check this with you at the time.

Once the DBS check application process has been completed, you will receive a copy of your DBS check certificate directly from the Disclosure and Barring Service. Keep this safe. The school or department will ask to see the certificate before your employment is confirmed in order to verify the information contained on it.

Is there a cost involved?

There is a cost involved, but in most cases this is picked up by the school or department that will be employing you. If you are not sure, please get in contact with the school or the manager who offered you the role.

How can I find out more?

You can find out more about the Disclosure and Barring Service on their website.

Contact Details

  • School posts

    For more specific information about how this relates to a post you are applying for in a school, please contact the school in the first instance.

    You can also contact the Schools’ Recruitment Team on

  • Catering posts in schools

    Please contact the Council's Catering Service (HC3S) on 023 8062 9388 or at

  • Non-school based posts

    If you are applying for a job that is not in a school, please contact the Council's recruitment team on



Contact Us
023 8038 3531