Using ICT to support English as a foreign Language (EAL) learners
Through a practical, hands-on session, this training aims to exemplify the benefits of using ICT with EAL learners. Colleagues will be introduced to a range of free and low-cost software, hardware and web-based tools that can be used to support EAL learners across the curriculum.
- Use of tools to support induction and assessment of new arrivals
- New to English software e.g. 2Simple’s ‘2Start English’ and Education City’s ‘Learn English’
- Technology to enable access to the curriculum e.g. Google Earth/Maps, translation tools
- Oral recording devices to promote speaking and listening e.g. TalkingPENs, Talking Tins, Cards and Albums
- Reading supports e.g. Recordable TalkingPENs and bilingual texts, screen reading software, audio-enabled texts/readers and e-books
- Supportive writing tools e.g. Cricksoft’s ‘Write Online’ and Texthelp’s ‘Read&Write Tutor’
- Tools for creativity and collaboration e.g. use of iPads and associated apps
- Promoting online collaboration through the use of cheap and low-cost video-conferencing solutions e.g. Skype, Flash Meeting, Face Time etc.
- Useful online tools and websites
Training sessions can be customised to meet the needs of the school and could be anything from a one hour workshop for a few members of staff to a full day’s training for all staff.