Parents and carers
The Hampshire Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service (EMTAS ) is part of Children's Services in Hampshire County Council.
Our service provides support to Hampshire schools through bilingual assistance offered to schools, nurseries and playgroups who admit a newly arrived pupil, for whom English is an Additional Language (EAL).
One of our projects supports parents to learn English. This means parents can participate more confidently in their children's education and in their family life.
- Encourage parents to take part in their children's education.
- Provide opportunities for learning basic communication skills in English through mother tongue support.
- Empower parents to gain confidence and enrol in a college to learn English.
- Provide information about the UK educational system.
- Help parents to learn basic IT skills.
- Encourage and provide information about Early Years Education (eg PEEP programme)
- Raise the awareness of schools and various agencies regarding the barriers and issues of language, culture, job prospects, racism etc.
Download: Bringing up your child bilingually 1 MB.
Ring our language phonelines (term time only).
telephone: 01256 330195
fax: 01962 834562
Ring our language phonelines for service support (term time only)
Ring our EAL/SEN phoneline for support for a bilingual pupil (where there are concerns)
Tel: 01256 330195, please ask for Lisa Kalim
Tuesday 12:00 - 16:00pm (term time only)