Multi-lingual resources are very useful in supporting the access and engagement of bilingual pupils. There are various ways in which Hampshire EMTAS may be able to help:
Hampshire EMTAS Resources Centre
We have a range of materials and books for Hampshire LA schools to borrow on free short-term loan. Our resources include:
- an extensive range of dual language books
- talking dictionaries,
- EAL storysacks,
- persona dolls,
- language files,
- cross cultural poetry and fiction,
- Travellers fiction and non fiction,
- Gypsy/Romany history books,
- artefacts and photos,
- Traveller guided reading packs for KS1 & KS2, and Travellers Times
The following packs are available to purchase please contact Julie Yates, Resources Manager for further information, or complete an order form.
Hampshire Young Interpreter Scheme: Guidance pack and DVD
This packs aims to provide additional support to pupils who are learning English as an Additional Language, their families and schools. The pack consists of training material for key stage 1, 2, 3 and 4 pupils.
Justice for Johnny
Secondary drama scheme of work which addresses prejudice towards members of the Traveller community through drama.
- The Fox and the Crocodile story
- 'Education for All' video
How education can support our Traveller children and young people
- Bringing up your child bilingually 1 MB
- Traveller checklist of good practice 84kb
- Ascription leaflet 414 kB - Traveller self identification
- Statham, L. (ed.) (2008) Counting them in - the inclusion of isolated bilingual learners.
Stoke on Trent: Trentham Books. ISBN 978-1-858556-425-. Written by members of the EMTAS team and edited by Liz Statham. Available from Trentham Books
- Cultural information about children and families who originate from Zimbabwe 75 kB.
This new resource is the first in a series of cultural information resources which we will be making available over the coming months. Follow us on Twitter to receive notification of new releases
- New Arrivals Good Practice Guide: Primary 110 kB and New Arrivals Good Practice Guide: Secondary 119 kB.
Available for free download, these two handy reference guides comprise key points to bear in mind in relation to provision for newly-arrived pupils who are new to English and their families:
NB. Our resources may be photocopied or reproduced as long as Hampshire EMTAS is acknowledged as the source.
- Supporting Advanced Bilingual Learners (ABLs)
- FAQs about bringing up a child bilingually
- A Language in Common: Assessing English as an Additional Language.
London: QCA. ISBN 1 8583 431 1
Available to loan – Guided reading book list 71 kB
EMTAS have worked closely with Swanmore C of E Primary School to identify Traveller based text at KS1and KS2 that can be incorporated into Guided Reading Sessions. A set of discussion questions has been produced to accompany each of the text in order to support a member of staff using the books to address any cultural issues that may arise.
EMTAS has compiled a book list of these titles. Schools can borrow the books which have been turned into packs to support group reading activities. Each pack includes a set of 6 books and discussion questions. Some packs include additional activities that can be used to supplement group reading. A synopsis of each book is given in the downloadable list and an indication of the Year Group for which the text may be suitable.
General – culture and religion
Asylum seeking and refugee children
- The Refugee Council
- Save the Children
- UK Visas and Immigration (formerly UK Border Agency)
- The British Red Cross 413 kB - free services
- Hampshire County Council - Asylum seekers and refugee children/young people in education: good practice guidelines 2mb
- EMAonline - online resources for teachers of ethnic minority pupils
- NALDIC - National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum
Excellent informative site on all things EAL with lots of further links - Teaching and Learning
- NALDIC - Language and the Curriculum
- NALDIC - Language and literacy in EAL learning
- The National Literacy Trust: 'Talk to your baby'
- EMTAS leaflet: Bringing up your child bilingually 1 MB
- Primary menus - the current Hampshire primary school menu has been translated by Hampshire EMTAS and can be downloaded in various languages
Translated materials for classrooms/schools/learning
- Mantra Publishing - many books published in different languages
- Dual language signs - A4 pdf posters
- Fairfields School have put a list of resources together (some external) which are in a range of languages from Arabic to Urdu.
- Travellers' Times Online
- The Showmen's Guild
- All the Fun of the Fair
- National Association of Teachers of Travellers
- Irish Traveller Movement
- DFE website - gypsy traveller achievement
- Dorset Traveller Education