Parents and carers for whom English is an additional language
The Hampshire Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service (EMTAS) is part of Children's Services in Hampshire County Council.
We work with Hampshire children, families and schools on all aspects of provision in relation to English as an Additional Language (EAL).
One of our projects delivers Family Learning classes to parents. These classes help parents learn English so they can get more involved in their children's education.
- Encourage parents to take part in their children's education.
- Provide opportunities for learning basic communication skills in English through first language support.
- Empower parents to gain confidence and enrol in a college to learn English.
- Provide information about the UK education system.
- Help parents to learn basic IT skills.
- Encourage and provide information about Early Years Education (e.g. PEEP programme)
Raise the awareness of schools and other agencies regarding issues relating to language, culture, racism etc.
2-Year-Old Early Years education offer
Free Early Years education for eligible 2-year-old children is now available. If you are in receipt of certain benefits, you may qualify for up to 15 hours’ free nursery education for your pre-school child/children.
- First language, home language and ascription leaflet 374 kB - It explains what these things are and why it is important for parents to let schools know this information about them and their children.
- Bringing up your child bilingually 1 MB
- Bringing up your child bilingually - French translation 376 kB
- Primary menus - the current Hampshire primary school menu has been translated by Hampshire EMTAS and can be downloaded in various languages
- Information about Free School Meals for parents 348 kB
Call our phone lines
Term time only