Parents and carers
The Hampshire Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service (EMTAS ) is part of Children's Services in Hampshire County Council.
Our service provides support to Hampshire schools through bilingual assistance offered to schools, nurseries and playgroups who admit a newly arrived pupil, for whom English is an Additional Language (EAL).
One of our projects supports parents to learn English. This means parents can participate more confidently in their children's education and in their family life.
Encourage parents to take part in their children's education.
Provide opportunities for learning basic communication skills in English through mother tongue support.
Empower parents to gain confidence and enrol in a college to learn English.
Provide information about the UK educational system.
Help parents to learn basic IT skills.
Encourage and provide information about Early Years Education (eg PEEP programme)
Raise the awareness of schools and various agencies regarding the barriers and issues of language, culture, job prospects, racism etc.
2-Year-Old Early Years education offer
Free Early Years education for eligible 2-year-old children is now available. If you are in receipt of certain benefits, you may qualify for up to 15 hours’ free nursery education for your pre-school child/children.
- First language, home language and ascription leaflet 374 kB - It explains what these things are and why it is important for parents to let schools know this information about them and their children.
- Bringing up your child bilingually 1 MB
- Bringing up your child bilingually - French translation 376 kB
- Primary menus - the current Hampshire primary school menu has been translated by Hampshire EMTAS and can be downloaded in various languages
- Information about Free School Meals for parents 348 kB
Call our phone lines
Term time only