This summary sets out the basis on which we need to operate in order to ensure that you receive a quality service which contributes to a more effective selection decision.
- No selection method will provide you with total certainty in your decisions.
- However, psychometric testing can provide you with additional information which will help you to have more confidence in your appointment decisions.
- We have fully trained consultants qualified to administer the tests / questionnaires, analyse the results and to give feedback.
- Administration can be carried out online which enables candidates to access the questionnaires at their chosen e-mail address
Purpose and Range of Psychometric Tests
- Ability or Aptitude tests and the Occupational Personality Questionnaire (OPQ) are used to provide additional information about candidate's abilities and preferred style of working in work situations.
- We can provide expert advice on the most suitable test(s) and/or questionnaires to be used, which all depend on the type of post you have vacant and the qualities you are looking for in the successful candidate, as outlined in your person specification.
- The information gained from the ability and aptitude tests can, in certain circumstances, be used to determine who should be interviewed (i.e. as a shortlisting tool). Advice on this will be given by the consultant assigned to your process.
- The information gained from an Occupational Personality Questionnaire is not used on its own as a shortlisting tool but provides a valuable source of additional information about candidates which can be used in conjunction with other information, to assist in the selection decision.
- Ability / Aptitude tests and the Occupational Personality Questionnaires are best used as an integral part of the whole selection process. For that reason we would prefer to work with you from the start of the planning process.
Planning the Selection Process
To ensure that your selection process runs smoothly, we will assist you with planning and advise you on the timescales needed for the following:
- online administration of the OPQ is undertaken prior to the selection dates
- feeding back and validating the results with candidates on an individual basis (thirty minutes per candidate) prior to interview
- preparing and presenting relevant information to the interview panel (up to one hour depending on number of candidates) prior to the final interviews taking place. This highlights areas of concern against the person specification which can then be probed at interview.
An example of a typical timetable for use in a selection process including the use of an ability / aptitude test and occupational personality questionnaire can be provided.
The Importance of Feedback and Validation with the Candidates
When candidates are asked to undergo tests and questionnaires as part of the selection process, they are given feedback in the results and their personality profile. In the case of occupational personality questionnaires, feedback to candidates is part of the validation process.
Questionnaires without validation will not be as reliable. For that reason our consultants provide feedback to an interview panel on personality assessments after the feedback with candidates has taken place and prior to the final interview taking place.
Feedback to the Panel and the Candidates
Feedback on the analysis of results which is given to the panel will be based on the specific aspects identified through the person specification and the selection criteria. Feedback on occupational personality questionnaires will be in the form of an oral summary which highlights the candidate's thinking and preferred style of working and how this relates to the requirements of the post. This highlights areas of contra-indication for the panel to probe carefully during the interview process.
The consultant will be happy to answer questions specifically relating to the selection criteria.
Ability / Aptitude test results will be provided as a numerical score.
As psychometric testing is a discretionary service and therefore not part of the Education Personnel Services' Service Level Agreement, an hourly rate for this service will be made together with a charge for the materials used.
If you wish to discuss any aspects of the testing process please either telephone 023 8038 3531 or email the Recruitment & Development Team - firstname.lastname@example.org Alternatively you can speak to your already assigned consultant for further information.