Outdoor Education

Financial Support for Individuals and School Sports Associations in Hampshire

charlie gunson football shot

Financial Assistance for Talented Young People in Sport

The grant is intended to ensure that young people are not denied the opportunity to participate at a representative level in sport through financial hardship.  Each of the following criteria must  be met before an application will be considered.  In some cases, the decision may be made to target support directly, for example, by paying club fees or meeting additional training costs.

  • The young person is of school/sixth form college age.

  • The person with parental responsibility is resident in Hampshire.

  • Generally, the young person is involved in competitive sport above district level and, in the view of the relevant school sports association and governing body of sport, has the attitude and ability to progress.

  • Sports supported can be found on the Energise Me webpage. If your sport is not listed please contact Karen Andrews on 01962 876218 to discuss.

  • The application is supported by the school, county coach or county team manager or the relevant school sports association.

  • The award is for a specific purpose, e.g. travel to training or to take part in a particular event or for extra coaching. It is not to be used to purchase equipment or clothing.

  • The applicant's personal circumstances must show the need for financial support in order to develop.

  • Awards will be made at the discretion of Hampshire County Council and will be dependent on funds being available.


Applications will be considered three times during a financial year. To feed reports into the process, applications must be received by:

  • 25 May 2018 (for June payments)

  • 19 October 2018 (for November payments)

  • 15 February 2019 (for March payments)


There is an online application process for all HCC grants. These will mainly come from organisations.Clicking the link below will take you to a separate website which will explain how to use this form to apply for financial assistance.

web application page

A paper application is available from our office, for those who find computer access difficult.  To request one, please phone 01962 876219.


For more information, or help with your application, please contact:

Karen Andrews, Programme Officer (PE and School Sport), Outdoor Education, PE & DofE Service, Four Chimneys, Winton Close, Winchester, SO22 6AB.  Tel. 01962 876219.  e-mail: karen.andrews@hants.gov.uk


Michael Austin Harlick Memorial Fund Trophy Grants

What are they?

Trophy grants provide financial assistance to sports organisations towards the cost of awards that recognise the sporting achievements of young people in Hampshire. Grants are available to help with the purchase of challenge cups, individual medals, team awards and colours.

Who can apply?

Applications for trophy grants are welcome from organisations providing sporting opportunities for school-aged people in Hampshire. These will include:

  • County and District Junior Sports Associations

  • Hampshire School Sports Associations

  • Cluster groups of schools

  • Groups working with young people with disabilities

  • Clubs hosting open tournaments

Applications for club trophies will not be considered.

How to apply

Administration of the Michael Austin Harlick Sports Awards has been transferred from Hampshire County Council to the Hampshire & Isle of Wight Community Foundation (HIWCF). Applications for 2018 awards should be made on line via the HIWCF website where you should go to the Grants page and you will see the Michael Austin Harlick Fund listed. The fund will be open for applications during January 2018 and again for a further round during June 2018. Any email queries should be sent to online@hiwcf.com

Contact details

For more information, or help with your application, please contact:

Karen Andrews, Outdoor Education, PE and DofE, Hampshire Futures, Four Chimneys, Winton Close Winchester, SO22 6AB.  Tel. 01962 876219.  e-mail: karen.andrews@hants.gov.uk