Points to remember when ignoring misbehaviour:
Ignoring is great to use for behaviours such as temper tantrums, or whining after being told NO.
- Withdraw your attention but stay in the room- distract yourself with a magazine or something similar!
- Return your attention as soon as the misbehaviour stops.
- Choose specific behaviours to ignore and make sure that they are ones you can ignore!
- Be consistent- if you are not your child will become confused about which behaviours are unacceptable.
- Be prepared for testing – your child will not like being ignored!
- Don’t get into an argument with your child.
- Give attention to your child’s positive behaviours- you will get more of them.
(print version) 33kb