Points to remember when playing with your child:
- Follow your child’s lead.
- Pace the play at your child’s level- don’t rush them.
- Don’t compete with your child.
- Try unstructured play which encourages imagination and avoids a win/lose situation
e.g. Lego, play dough, colouring.
- Praise and encourage their efforts – do not criticize.
- Role play and Make Believe encourage creativity !
- Be an attentive and appreciative audience – give your child your complete attention e.g turn off the TV.
- Describe what your child is doing – don’t question,
e.g. “I see you are using the blue crayon to colour in the cat.”
- Try not to help too much – children love to solve their own problems.
- Reward quiet play with your attention. It is often a chance to catch up with jobs, but your child will be thrilled if you notice them playing quietly.
(print version) 62kb