Points to remember when praising your child:
- Catch your child being good – don’t save praise for perfect behaviour.
- Give labelled and specific praise e.g. You did a really good job of tidying up your toys, well done!
- Give positive praise – don’t follow praise with a negative comment, it takes it away.
- Praise immediately after the behaviour – praise in front of others and you will really give your child a boost.
- Use praise consistently – don’t miss an opportunity if possible.
- A child who receives praise is likely become more confident and more likely to try new things.
- It will make you both feel good !
(print version 50kb)