Hampshire County Council Black and Minority Ethnic (BME) Staff Network
The Black and Minority Ethnic Staff Network, established in 2008, works towards ensuring that the views of this group are proactively incorporated in to council policy, planning processes and procedures; and to assist with developing good practice.
- Understanding the diversity of our workforce, through common interests, identities, and issues
- Capturing experiences to inform innovative practice
- Building opportunities to develop staff and the way we deliver our services
How to get involved
We are keen to explore alternative ways for people to contribute to the network, please get in touch with any ideas or to have your name added to the distribution list. The group is open to all staff who subscribe to the aims of the group. If you would like to find out more please email Amanda.Lee@hants.gov.uk
Members are permitted to attend meetings in work time. Meetings are scheduled in advance and it is the individual member’s responsibility to give sufficient notice and make the appropriate arrangements with their manager.
BME Staff Network Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference will be reviewed on an annual basis
To work towards ensuring that the views of this group are proactively incorporated in to council policy, planning processes and procedures; and to assist with developing good practice.
The group will
- Work with Equality Leads to address culture changes needed to make HCC an even more inclusive employer and service provider
- Assist in developing and implementing policies and strategies aimed at tackling racial discrimination and promoting equalities of opportunities for BME people – staff and customers
- Provide feedback and support to Senior Managers on general and specific issues affecting BME staff and service users where required
- Act as a support network for BME staff
- Raise awareness and respect of difference
- Identify and address discrimination
- Provide development opportunities for its members to ensure that they can act as equality champions
Hampshire County Council’s Black and Minority Ethnic Staff Network is open to all staff who subscribe to the aims of the group.
Frequency of meetings
- The frequency of meetings will be flexible depending on priorities but on average there will be a meeting every 6-8 weeks each meeting lasting one and a half hours.
- Members are permitted to attend meetings in work time. Meetings are scheduled in advance it is the individual member’s responsibility to·give sufficient notice in agreement with their line manager.
The network reports to the Head of Equality and Engagement and all Equality Leads across the County Council. The network works closely with HR and will update the relevant partners as required.
Support to sub groups: Amanda Lee
Interim Chair: Becky O’Selmo
Family Health Fayre 194 kB
If you have any comments or suggestions please send your feedback to Amanda.Lee@hants.gov.uk
Meeting dates for 2014
All will be in the Romsey Room, 3rd floor west, EII Court, 12-1.30pm unless stated otherwise. Please feel free to bring your lunch.
- 10 February
- 5 May
- 21 July
- 20 October
- 1 December