Staff Disability Forum
The disability forum is made up of a group of staff from different departments who are interested in promoting equality for disabled staff and service users/customers. We aim to ensure that the views of this group are considered when the council develops its policies, planning processes and procedures. The forum has developed a database of disability related issues and will provide updates on the progress made in resolving these.
Some members of the forum have been designated as disability champions.
Four sub-groups have been set up to look at issues relating to:
- Learning and Development and best practice
- Communication and information
Dates of meetings
6 June - 12.30 - 2.30
Venue: As you are aware the forum have discussed the possibility of holding a couple of this years meetings in different locations. If there is sufficient take up then the next meeting will be held at Havant Plaza, this will be confirmed as soon as possible.
Terms of Reference
The group will:
- Send a positive signal to employees, potential employees, customers and potential customers that Hampshire County Council is a respectful and supportive environment for disabled people;
- Raise awareness of the two ticks scheme;
- Provide a contact point and support network for disabled staff, carers and colleagues working with disabled service users;
- Promote best practice, relating to communication/different formats, workstyle, access, monitoring, learning and development and provide positive case studiesWork with Equality Leads to address culture changes needed to make HCC an even more inclusive employer and service provider;
- Assist in developing and implementing policies and strategies aimed at tackling disability discrimination and promoting equalities of opportunities for disabled people – staff and customers;
- Provide feedback and support to Senior Managers on general and specific issues affecting disabled staff and service users where required;
- Identify and address discrimination;
- Provide development opportunities for its members to ensure that they can act as equality champions.
Anyone who is interested is welcome to attend this group regardless of whether you are disabled or not. You can either join the group as a standing member or you might just want to come for one meeting to discuss a specific issue. The frequency of meetings will be flexible depending on priorities but on average there will be a meeting every eight weeks each meeting lasting two hours.
Members are permitted to attend meetings in work time. Meetings are scheduled in advance it is the individual member’s responsibility to give sufficient notice to their manager.
The network reports to the Equality, diversity and Inclusion Manager, Thematic disability leads and other Equality Leads across the County Council. The network work closely with HR and will update the relevant partners as required.
- December 2012 693kb