Extra Care housing

With Extra Care housing you have a home of your own, but with care and support on site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

It is sometimes called Housing with Care, Close Care, Very Sheltered Housing or Assisted Living.

Extra Care housing can be provided by a local authority, a housing association or a private company. You can rent or buy it, either by yourself or as a couple. As with places in care homes, the local authority may be able to assist you if you have eligible needs.

About Extra Care

The emphasis in Extra Care housing is independence.

Unlike living in a care or nursing home, residents in Extra Care housing schemes have their own flat, with their own kitchen, bedroom, living room, bathroom and front door.

Care is provided on site as needed, based on individual care plans.

Mix of needs in Extra Care

In order to maintain a balanced community, you will find a mix of people with low, medium and higher care needs. You will find a range of people from those who are able to live independently to those who need higher levels of care, and the partners of people who need care.

If your care needs, or the care needs of your partner change, the amount of care and support will change with it.

The care and support you receive is regularly reviewed with you and small changes can be met by your care team. If you find your care needs have changed significantly, then you will be reassessed by a social worker and the number of hours of care and support can be changed to meet your requirements.

About the carers

All carers are part of the on-site teams provided by the Extra Care schemes.

There are several care providers in Hampshire. They must all meet the same quality standards you would expect from an organisation providing personal care in someone's own home.

Staffing arrangements

Each scheme has a scheme manager who:

  • looks after the residents and the building
  • helps with housing related issues
  • manages the rota of care staff available during the day

There is also a care manager and a care team available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Moving from your own home

Home owners can move into an Extra Care Scheme. Some schemes offer homes to buy, others offer only homes to rent, and some are a mixture of both.

  • Rented flats
    Flats are available to rent in Extra Care Schemes. All purpose built schemes in Hampshire are run by registered providers (housing associations)

  • Shared ownership
    Shared ownership flats may be also available. More about affordable home ownership schemes

  • Full ownership
    Some schemes allow you to buy your flat outright. When the flat needs to be sold, it must be sold to someone who is eligible to live in that Extra Care scheme

Laundry and shopping

If this need has been identified during your care assessment and included in your care plan, laundry and/or shopping will be completed by care workers.


All flats within purpose built Extra Care schemes have their own kitchens, but they also have an on-site restaurant and will provide hot meals at least once a day to residents and guests.

Meals within the restaurant are a good opportunity to socialise with other residents, friends and families and other older people from the local community who come into the schemes to use the facilities.

Some schemes require you to eat one meal a day at the restaurant, five days a week. This helps to provide good food at the right price.


A number of schemes are happy to accept pets providing it does not cause nuisance to other residents. You can discuss this when looking to make an application to a scheme.


Your apartment is your own home so you choose who can visit and when. In a number of schemes, guest rooms are available if guests need to stay for a number of days, or have travelled a long distance.

Socialising in an Extra Care scheme

Although you have your own flat with your own front door, there are plenty of opportunities to socialise within the community. As well as the restaurant, hairdressers, and communal lounges, schemes offer many different activities from coffee mornings to art classes, gentle exercise classes and visits from community organisations.

Find Extra Care schemes in Hampshire

Contact your local council's housing department.

Find contact details and website for your local council (GOV.UK)

This search will identify your local city, borough or district council. That is the council you should contact for advice about Extra Care. Ignore any link to Hampshire County Council.

Alternatively, use the Elderly Accommodation Counsel website to search for schemes in your area

Eligibility for Extra Care paid by the Council

To be eligible for Hampshire County Council funded Extra Care you must have an assessed care need and housing need. If you already receive care from the County Council speak to your care worker.

If you do not currently receive care from us you can request an assessment of your needs.

Request an assessment of your needs

If your partner or spouse has different needs

Applications for Extra Care are assessed on need, but only one of you has to have an assessed care need. Several Extra Care schemes have flats with two bedrooms which are ideally suited for couples who want to stay together but require separate bedrooms.