Food, Agriculture and Animal Health

Performing animals - Registration

If you intend to keep or train animals for public performance, for example in a circus, television, theatre or in a film, the animal needs to be registered with a local authority. Registrations are issued under The Performing Animals (Regulation) Act 1925.

How do I apply?

The council is required to keep a register of those registered to train and use performing animals.

If you wish to apply for the registration of performing animals, you must complete and return the application form below and send it to us at the address below, together with the appropriate fee.

Please contact the Animal Health Team at the address in the right hand column, if you want a copy of the application form sent to you.

If you wish merely to inspect and take a copy of our register, please contact the Animal Health Team.


Registration application form

What happens next

Tacit consent does not apply as each application needs to be reviewed by the Animal Health Team.

Once your application is received a licence will be issued within 5 working days if the application is satisfactory.



Description Charge Review date Review frequency
Registration and certification £30.60 31 March 2015 12 months
Duplicate certificates £15.30 31 March 2015 12 months
Register, inspection and copying £15.30 31 March 2015 12 months

What if my details change

You must notify the Authority of any changes that would affect the registration e.g. changes to the numbers of animals, types of animals and trainers. Please contact the Animal Health Team.


Your right to appeal

If you are not happy with this service please make your complaint to the Animal Health Team.




Animal Health Team

Telephone: 01962 833621


Hampshire County Council
Trading Standards Service
Montgomery House
Monarch Way
Winchester SO22 5PW

Helping businesses with licences and regulations across Europe