Functional skills were developed in response to employability needs set out in the Government’s 14-19 Education and Skills White Paper. They offer learners the chance to gain useful, transferable skills.
We accredit our Functional Skills programmes through NCFE offering the following English, Maths, and Information and Communication Technology (ICT) qualifications at Entry 1, Entry 2, Entry 3, Level 1, and Level 2.
Entry Level qualifications are assessed through internal controlled assessments which are internally assessed and moderated, and externally moderated.
Level 1 and Level 2 qualifications are assessed through external controlled assessments for Maths, ICT and English (reading, writing) available as paper-based or online. English (speaking, listening and communication) is assessed through an internal controlled assessment which is internally assessed and moderated, and externally moderated.
- English at Entry Level 1
- English at Entry Level 2
- English at Entry Level 3
- English at Level 1
- English at Level 2
- Mathematics at Entry Level 1
- Mathematics at Entry Level 2
- Mathematics at Entry Level 3
- Mathematics at Level 1
- Mathematics at Level 2
- ICT at Entry Level 1
- ICT at Entry Level 2
- ICT at Entry Level 3
- ICT at Level 1
- ICT at Level 2
- Functional Skills Qualifications flow diagram 57 kB
- Guidance on the Administrative Procedures for Functional Skills 290 kB
- NCFE Functional Skills
- NCFE Regulations for the conduct of controlled assessment [Functional Skills]
- NCFE Regulations for the conduct of External Assessment
- Entry Level Literacy and Numeracy information
- Resources (accessed via the Moodle)
- Accreditation paperwork (contained in Quality Documentation – downloads)
- Maths – Sample Papers
- English – Sample Papers
- ICT – Sample Papers