Not logged in.

Disclosure and Barring Service check

Safeguarding in Hampshire

Hampshire County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.

All successful candidates for posts working with children and vulnerable adults will be subject to relevant pre-employment checks, including a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

What is a Disclosure and Barring Service check?

A Disclosure and Barring Service check shows details of all cautions, reprimands, warnings and convictions held on the Police National Computer (PNC). An ‘Enhanced’ Disclosure (which you will be subject to) will also show if an individual is included on a Barred List of individuals who are not permitted to work with children, young people and vulnerable adults. A Disclosure also contains any relevant and proportionate information held by local police forces

How do I obtain a Disclosure and Barring Service check?

If you are offered a job with us, a number of pre-employment checks need to be carried out before your appointment can be confirmed

Please note that in some cases, previously issued DBS Disclosures are ‘portable’ within the County Council and we will confirm this with you at the time.

Once the DBS Disclosure application process has been completed, you will receive a copy of your DBS Disclosure certificate.

Keep it safe.

You will be asked to provide details of the DBS Certificate Number, so that the school or department can update their records.

Is there a cost involved?

There is a cost involved, but in most cases this is picked up by the school or department that will be employing you. If you are not sure, please get in contact with the school or the manager who offered you the role.

How can I find out more?

Find out more about the DBS on the GOV.UK website.

Contact Details

  • School posts (including school-managed Children’s Centres).

For more specific information about how this relates to a post you are applying for in a school or Children’s Centre, please contact the school or Centre in the first instance. You can also contact the Schools’ Recruitment Team on

  • Catering posts in schools

Please contact the Council's Catering Service (HC3S) on 023 8062 9388

  • Non-school based posts

If you are applying for a job that is not in a School, please contact the Council's recruitment team on