Fruit Cake Recipe: A tasty springtime treatOur boiled fruit cake recipe is the perfect way to use up dried fruit left over from making your Christmas pudding, or dried cranberries and apricots. This is a firm enough cake to cut up and wrap to be a treat in your pocket on a spring walk.
2 x1lb or 1 x 2lb loaf tin, lined, sides and base
- Dried fruit 454gr (1lb)
- Margarine 170gr (6oz)
- Granulated or demerara sugar 170gr (6oz)
- Water 180ml (6fl oz)
- Flour 340gr (12oz)
- Baking powder 21gr
- 4 x eggs
- Mixed spice (optional) 1tsp
- Simmer together fruit, margarine, sugar and water in a covered pan for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Add flour, baking powder and eggs to the cool ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Bake in a greased and lined tin (2x1lb or 1x2lb loaf lined tin), cook at 150 degrees for approximately 2 hours for a 2lb cake or 45 minutes for a 1lb cake.
- Check the centre of the cake with a skewer to ensure it’s cooked through.
Listen to this recipe
Try some other recipes!
- Apple flapjack crumble
- Vegetable frittata
- Rhubarb & Ginger Baked Alaska
- Little Hampshire Honey Puddings
- Warming Sausage Hotpot