Hampshire Own Grown
Hampshire Own Grown news
Nominations for the 2013 programme have now closed.
Details of the 2014 programme will be published on this site in January 2014.
Please use the navigation on the left side of this page for general information.
Hampshire Own Grown is a competitive-entry talent development programme that aims to identify and develop leaders of the future. Now in its 8th year, and consistently revised and updated, it is considered a successful and prestigious development opportunity.
The key organisational themes (Shaping Services for the Future 2012) for the next three years are:
- achieving further efficiencies
- transforming and modernising services for the future
- exploring new business models and developing our capacity to make the most of opportunities within the public sector landscape.
The HOG programme aims to ensure that Hampshire County Council will continue to have leaders of the right quality and calibre to meet its ambitious goals for 2015 and beyond.
This programme will:
- identify high potential people and develop their leadership skills and behaviours to meet the immediate and future needs of the organisation
- develop a cadre of managers and leaders who can adapt their skills and expertise in order to meet future business needs
- grow the performance of the organisation through accelerating individual performance
- develop a cadre of managers and leaders who demonstrate the very best of public service values and business acumen, and so exemplify the desired culture of the organisation
- develop and retain talented individuals who can act as a resource for the organisation.
The aims will be achieved via the specially designed and combined elements of the programme:
- competitive entry to the programme assessed through a development centre
- extremely high expectations of participants' performance, behaviours and achievements during the programme
- accelerated learning - assessing the performance and potential of participants at the Development Centre ensures that learning is targeted
- expectations of strong partnership working across service areas and between participants, learning from and challenging each other
- a team of internal and external experts to design, deliver and facilitate the programme, bringing leading edge academic and practical experience
- examining current challenges and horizon scanning to equip talented individuals for current and future roles
- demanding and encouraging wider and longer term thinking about implications
- access to Chief Officers while working on real organisational questions.