New route between Southampton Airport and Hamburg good for business
Friday, 13 June 2014
News that Southampton Airport has secured a brand new daily service to and from Hamburg, connecting these two important business centres for the first time, has been welcomed by business leaders. The route will start in October 2014 with Flybe.
Councillor Seán Woodward, Hampshire County Council's Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment, added: "This is great news. There are strong similarities between the Solent region and Hamburg, Germany's second largest city and Europe's second largest sea port. The Hamburg region has specific strengths in both the aerospace and marine sectors, and is one of Germany's top three industrial locations. Greater connectivity between our respective business communities and groupings of particular business activity can only help in developing a stronger Solent economy, whether through access to new clients, new supply chains or collaborative innovation."
Within Southampton Airport's catchment area there are more than 27,000 jobs in the marine sector in over 1,300 businesses. The defence and aerospace sector in the area employs around 18,000 people and has more than 300 businesses. This new service is likely to benefit many of these organisations.
- New camping 'pods' to benefit service personnel, veterans and their families
- County Council aims to build on close working with the Church of England to help vulnerable residents
- Hampshire communities encouraged to roll up their sleeves and get behind nationwide spring clean
- More people taking up their Hampshire Health Check
- Success for bid to fund social work innovation in Hampshire and Isle of Wight