New Controlled Toucan Crossing on A33, Basingstoke
Thursday, 31 July 2014
A new Toucan crossing will be installed on the A33 immediately north of the Binfields Roundabout at Chineham.
Hampshire County Council is installing the controlled crossing to improve pedestrian safety along the A33. The paths leading up to the crossing will be widened to create space for pedestrians and cyclists to use the path, providing a safe route between homes and business, to the south of the A33, with Chineham District Centre and the nearby school.
Hampshire County Council's Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment, Councillor Seán Woodward, said: "These improvements will improve accessibility for local residents to local facilities and make it safer for pedestrians and cyclists, especially the mobility impaired and children. While there will inevitably be some short term disruption during the construction of the scheme, this will be outweighed by the benefits to the community at Chineham once they are completed."
Work will start on Monday 4 August 2014 and will be completed by mid November 2014.
The contract for the scheme has been awarded to Colas Ltd.
- Sound planning ensures Hampshire has a primary school place for every child
- New historic home for Winchester Register office.
- Could you be a community waste reduction champion?
- Spotlight on Winchester's newest ceremony room during city's Fashion Week
- High percentage get primary school of their choice