Solent Go travelcard comes to South Hampshire
Friday, 29 Aug 2014
Hampshire County Council and its partners are challenging residents to take part in the Solent Go Challenge to celebrate the launch of a new travelcard.
The new smart travelcard, for the first time ever, offers unlimited bus travel on most operators and add on ferry travel across the South Hampshire region. To mark the occasion, a region-wide challenge 'Solent Go Change Challenge' will be visiting a number of key locations across South Hampshire from now until the end of October.
The new Solent Go travelcard replaces the existing paper Solent Travelcard and will make leisure and commuter journeys easier. Solent Go costs £8 per day, £30 per week or £100 per month for hop-on, hop-off bus travel across the region. A selection of ferry tickets can also be added to the travelcard; a first for South Hampshire travellers.
The 'Solent Go Change Challenge' invites residents to come and try a new era of smart travel by getting involved in a series of fun travel based challenges. Brand new games have been invented that will put the region's competitive spirit to the test, including a giant ball pit and games of chance, all linked to the theme of sustainable travel. Solent Transport is also working with popular local attractions to offer discounts and 2-for-1 entry, rewarding those who leave the car at home and travel by bus using a Solent Go travelcard. Partner attractions so far include Marwell Zoo, Sea-City, the Museum of Naval Firepower, Bursledon Brickworks and Gilbert White's House. Details of further discounts will be added to the Solent Go website as they are confirmed.
Councillor Seán Woodward, Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment at Hampshire County Council said:
"We've been working with travel operators and partner authorities in South Hampshire to come up with a way to make travelling on public transport quicker and easier for residents. I hope the Solent Go travelcard might also persuade people to try public transport for some of their journeys, in turn easing congestion on the roads during busy times"
The Solent Go Challenge will be visiting the following places throughout the summer:
- 29 August: Fareham High Street Bandstand - 9am to 5pm
- 31 August: Winchester, Winchester Cathedral Square - 9am to 5pm
- 6 September: Havant, Meridian Shopping Centre, Elm Lane - 9am to 5pm
- 13 September: Portsmouth, Cascades Shopping Centre, Commercial Rd - 9am to 5pm
- 19 September: Winchester Tesco Extra, Easton Lane - 9am to 5pm
- 20 September: Winchester Tesco Extra, Easton Lane - 9am to 5pm
- 4 October: Southampton, West Quay Shopping Centre - 9am to 5pm
- 26 October: Hythe Ferry Office - 9am to 4pm
- 31 October: Portsmouth Commercial Road [outside H&M/Primark] - 9am to 5pm
Solent Transport is a strategic partnership between Hampshire County Council, Portsmouth and Southampton City Councils, and Isle of Wight Council. The partnership aims to improve transport for the Solent area
You can register for your Solent Go travel card at solentgo.co.uk
The smartcard will cost £8 per day (or £30 per week / £100 per month) for unlimited bus travel. Ferry travel can also be added
With unlimited bus travel from Winchester to Totton to Emsworth and everything in between, and additional ferry travel available on the same card for the first time, the Solent Go travelcard is the easy, smart and responsible travel option
The travelcard can be used on all the following operators, ferries/buses
- Ferry operators:
- Red Funnel
- Gosport Ferry
- Hythe Ferry
- Bus operators:
- Emsworth & District
- First Hampshire & Dorset
- Go South Coast
- Stagecoach South
To encourage people to choose the sustainable travel option, discounted entry is offered at the following attractions for all those who present their Solent Go travelcard.
- Museum of Naval Firepower: 2 for 1 entry (explosion.org.uk)
- Gilbert White & The Oates Collections: 2 for 1 entry (gilbertwhiteshouse.org.uk)
- Marwell Zoo: 10% off (marwell.org.uk)
- SeaCity: 10% off (seacitymuseum.co.uk)
- Bursledon Brickworks: 2 for 1 entry (bursledonbrickworks.org.uk)
For full terms and conditions, please contact the venues.
- Statement from Hampshire County Council in response to the Nepalese disaster
- Farnborough Library set to transform into a new community hub
- Celebrating Dementia Awareness Week - Hampshire takes big strides forward to becoming dementia friendly
- Operation Resilience works to start in Barton on Sea
- Showing appreciation for Hampshire's good neighbours