Consultation begins to help address traffic problems in the Gosport peninsula
Monday, 1 Jul 2013
Hampshire County Council's consultation on proposals to improve Newgate Lane and the western access to Gosport including a Stubbington bypass starts on 8 July.
The proposals aim to help address existing traffic problems on the Gosport peninsula to improve strategic east west and north south routes and to enhance access to the Solent Enterprise Zone.
The County Council is:
- Seeking early views from residents and businesses on possible routes for the Stubbington bypass and related improvements
- Presenting detailed plans for the proposed improvements to the northern section of Newgate Lane between Palmerston Drive and Tanners Lane
- Asking for a view on interim measures to improve the Peel Common junction
The consultation will run to 9 September, and will include drop in sessions where residents can discuss the proposals with council officers and information displays at local libraries, as well as information on the County Councils Stubbington Bypass website. Feedback from the public will be through questionnaires which will be available both at the exhibitions and through the website.
Consultation drop-sessions to discuss the proposals will be held at:
- Titchfield Community Centre - 2pm to 8pm on the 8 July 2013
- Lee-on-the-Solent Community Centre - 2pm to 8pm on the 9 July 2013
- Peel Common Junior School - 4pm to 8pm on the 11 July 2013
- Crofton Community Centre - 5pm to 8pm on the 12 July 2013
- Royal Sovereign Pavilion, HMS Collingwood - 10am to 4pm on the 13 July 2013
- Royal Sovereign Pavilion, HMS Collingwood - 2pm to 8pm on the 15 and 16 July 2013
Information will also be displayed at:
- Gosport Discovery Centre - 22 to 29 July 2013
- Fareham Library - 29 July to 5 August 2013
- Stubbington Library - 8 July to 9 September
- Lee on the Solent Library - 8 July to 9 September
Councillor Seán Woodward, Executive Member for Economy, Transport and Environment, said: "Addressing traffic issues around Stubbington and access to the enterprise zone at Daedalus are very important local matters. I would urge people who live in, or drive in and around, the Gosport Peninsula to take part in this consultation and help us to develop measures to tackle the traffic problems they experience."
The results of the consultation will help to inform and guide work on detailed traffic, engineering, environmental and cost assessments for a Stubbington Bypass. They will also enable The County Council to finalise the detailed design of the Newgate Lane north improvements and provide a steer on which interim measures for the southern end of Newgate Lane and Peel Common Junction are supported.