Fire at Winton Community Academy: statement from Councillor Roy Perry
Friday, 20 September 2013
The Leader of Hampshire County Council, Councillor Roy Perry has praised Hampshire's emergency services and the actions of Winton Community Academy in Andover, in response to a major fire which broke out at the school yesterday (Thursday 19 September).
Councillor Perry, said: "I have been very concerned to hear about the incident at the school today, but we have been reassured to learn of the swift action taken by Hampshire's firefighters in tackling the blaze, and the commendable actions of the school in promptly assuring the safety of all the pupils and staff.
"The safety and education of Hampshire's young people will always be of concern to us, and so our Property Services and Emergency Planning teams are providing assistance and support to the school to help them make it safe, and secure the site appropriately. We are ready to provide further help if necessary and if requested.
"We are well aware of the impact that such a significant incident can have on the wellbeing of pupils and their learning, but I'm sure that the school will make a quick recovery to minimise any disruption."
- Hampshire dims thousands of street lights as part of Lights Out for WWI
- Exciting new woodland play area for Royal Victoria Country Park
- In-year boost for school place provision in Hampshire
- Traffic warning for Winchester residents and commuters
- Superfast broadband reaches 14,500 more Hampshire homes and businesses