Older Driver Awareness Week
Friday, 20 September 2013
Hampshire and the Isle of Wight Older Drivers Forum will be holding Older Driver Awareness Events during week commencing 23 September 2013.
At these events you can get advice on:
- Brushing up your skills
- Booking a driving assessment
- Arranging a regular eyesight test
- Getting advice on health and well being issues that could affect your driving ability
- Renewing your licence at 70
- Learn more about road safety and the consequences of not being fit to drive
- Discover alternatives to driving and staying independent without a car
- And much more
The Older Drivers Forum consists of various organisations who have a wealth of knowledge and experience of different aspects of driving from licencing and medical conditions through to arranging for a driving assessment or even supporting those who need to give up driving.
The aim of the Forum is to keep mature drivers driving for as long as they are safe to do so by offering any necessary support or advice.
We know that older motorists have a wealth of experience, confidence and tolerance. However, sight, hearing, reaction time and judgement of speed and distance may not be as sharp as it once was. Gradual changes over a number of years may go unnoticed.
Fragility increases with age, so injuries tend to be more serious and recovery takes much longer. Casualty rates do increase for car drivers aged over about 65, and the fatality rate increases significantly.
At the Older Drivers Awareness events advice can be given on ways to manage this situation effectively.
Venues for these events, which start at 10.00 am and finish at 4.00 pm each day, are shown below.
Monday 23 September - Fareham
Ferneham Hall, Octagon Room, Osborn Road, Fareham, Hampshire PO16 7DB
Tel: 01329 824864
Tuesday 24 September - Basingstoke
Basingstoke Discovery Centre, 19/20 Westminster House, Festival Place, Basingstoke, RG21 7LS
Tel: 0845 6035631
Wednesday 25 September - Southampton
Lordshill Community Centre, Andromeda Road, Lordshill, Southampton, SO16 8BB
Thursday 26 September - New Forest
Milford on Sea Village Community Centre, Sea Road, Milford on Sea, SO41 0PH
Tel: 01590 644861
Friday 27 September - Portsmouth
Portsmouth City Museum, Activities Room, Museum Road, Portsmouth PO1 2LJ
Tel 02392 827261
Saturday 28 September - Isle of Wight
Ryde Community Fire Station, Nicholson Road, Ryde, Isle of Wight PO33 1BE
Tel: 01983 525121
Please come along with your friends and family for free between 10am and 4pm, there is no need to book. Refreshments will be available from onsite cafes or kitchen.
- Flooded households able to claim for mitigating measures
- Remember - Act F.A.S.T. to save lives
- Warning: Suspicious unsolicited telephone calls claiming to be from a police officer
- Floods: counting the cost of keeping people, property and highways safe
- Have your say on how the County Council supports bus and community transport services